Thursday 1 March 2012

Autumn and Winter Romance


As we head into the early days of autumn here in Australia, I thought it might be timely to write about cool weather weddings. Many brides are hesitant to marry during the colder months of the year, but an autumn or winter wedding can be so beautifully romantic, with an atmosphere that just can’t be recreated in warmer weather. How do I know? I got married in Melbourne in July!

We hadn’t originally planned to marry at that time of year, but things just fell into place that way; we knew our honeymoon destination of the Cook Islands would have excellent weather at that time of year (and it did!), the venue that we fell in love with had limited availability outside of that time period and best of all, it fit in with the general busyness of our lives. I was teaching at the time, so the three week mid-semester break in July worked well in terms of time off from school.

I did have a few concerns about our winter wedding and most of my anxiety was about the comfort of our guests, and their potential unwillingness to suffer the frosty weather in attending our day. Most of my relatives are from Queensland, so these concerns were real, and it was important to me that people weren’t put off by the season. I decided to openly acknowledge the fact that it would be cold, and so I just went with a winter white theme in my planning, and warned my guests that it would be chilly. Our cake gives a pretty good indication of the styling of the day – lots of crisp and snowy white, flowers, and a recurring ‘snowflake’ design that we used not only on our cake, but also on our invitations, place cards and orders of service. 
The 'frosty' icing on our deliciously decadent cake,
by Splendid Servings, Melbourne

We had lots of fun with the whole winter theming! I also chose venues that were more suited to the season – our reception venue was decorated in a very warm and inviting style, perfect for our cosy guest list of 35 people, and we also decided upon a church wedding ceremony, rather than a garden ceremony.

I have heard of brides who do choose to go the outdoors ceremony route who offer complimentary throws and pashminas for their guests and I think this is wonderful idea. It would really make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside as well as on the outside to know that the couple had thought of my comfort and offered me a snuggly pashmina as I arrived at the ceremony! If the venue permitted, you could also go crazy with braziers, candles and fairy lights to create a bit of winter romance in an outdoor reception venue.

There are a few other considerations that a bride should think about when planning a wedding outside of the ‘prime’ wedding season. It is really, really vital to remember that you will most likely be having photographs taken outside for at least some of the time. I purchased some gorgeous faux fur stoles for my girls and I had my own snow white wrap as well (and a muff! Ok, it probably was overkill but I absolutely loved it and it looked fantastic!). I think all three of us were very pleased to have those to snuggle into when the chilly winds threatened to cut through to the bone. In retrospect, dealing with the cold weather during the photography was probably the only part of having a winter wedding that I really regret and I was certain that our photos would show us with forced smiles and goosebumps in some of the pictures, but thankfully that didn’t happen! The biggest benefit of the winter setting for our photography is that we ended up with some truly striking photographs, due in part to the softer light and also because the trees were so stunning without their leaves on.

Check out some of our ideas for a beautiful autumn wedding in this week's featured treasury, A Woodland Wedding.

'Woodland Wedding' by WhitePoppyBridal



Classic Box - DIY Weddi...
$12.50

Handmade pop-up book st...
$125.00

100 Personalized SAVE T...
$85.00

Deposit on a spring flo...
$175.00

Wild Garden Dress, One ...
$1800.00

Woodland Needle Felted ...
$52.00

ANNA Handmade earthy f...
$48.95

Sunflower Table Number ...
$2.25

Lace Flower Girl Dress ...
$185.00

14k Palladium White Gol...
$1505.00

Orchids & Moss Vine Pom...
$29.95

Wedding Place Cards, Ye...
$30.00

Ring Bearer Pillow Nest...
$24.00

Men's Beach Wedding...
$15.00

Sample Woodland Rustic ...
$5.00

Just Married Banner
$13.00

Treasury tool by Red Row Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment